User Experience – Digital and Technology Degree Apprenticeship
- Apprenticeship, Data and Technology
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person!
Where you start with us doesn’t determine the course of your career. So many of our people develop themselves beyond their wildest imaginations, both in terms of their roles and the countries they’ve worked in.
AstraZeneca’s apprenticeship scheme offers you an opportunity to learn within a multi-national company gaining useable skills whilst collaborating alongside industry specialists and professionals.
In User Experience (UX), we are passionate about driving technology innovation and continuously improving our IT environment through applied research and design to ensure our internal teams can do their best work and successfully deliver our business goals to patients, caregivers and beyond.
We do this through using well-established User-Centred & Design Thinking processes that enable individuals and groups to fully discover and understand problems and then use tools and methods to solve them, creating maximum value for the business.
We need great people who share our passion for research and people led problem solving, are driven, determined and hard-working. In return, we will support your formal and ‘on the job’ development, making the most of your skills and passion to help you in reaching your ultimate career aspirations.
Our apprenticeship programme is designed to give you a broad understanding of our UX & I.T function alongside being involved in a variety of critical activities and projects we are delivering to the business. During this 4-year programme, you will be embedded in a highly driven and successful User Experience (UX) team in Macclesfield, whilst having the opportunity to interact and work with other parts of the business that will help your applied design, research, psychology and business skills to professional levels and beyond.
Throughout your UX apprenticeship with us you could carry out some of the following roles:
- User research – both qualitative and quantitative (e.g. lab-based usability studies and surveys)
- Data analysis and report writing of both types of data
- UX and business strategy – e.g. understanding business needs and aligning with UX efforts and tools
- Information architecture – e.g. the design and structure of content and information for digital tools and services
- User Interface & digital product design (the design of mobile and web based tools and products etc.)
- Research and design into novel technology – e.g. Voice design, Augmented and Virtual reality (AR/VR)
- Applied psychology – e.g. behavioural design and research & applied cognitive and social psychology in product design
So, in one month, you could be a UX researcher, working with a patient, gathering feedback on a digital health tool that the team may have designed; or you may then work with different parts of IT and the business to see how UX can add value and integrate to improve performance through UX training. On another project, as a UX designer you could be designing a smart-watch prototype to help someone with a respiratory disease stay on track with taking their medication.
Whichever role you perform, you will:
- Build knowledge of your UX & IT area & the customer & user area(s) you are working with, creating new value and impact within the team
- Work with an awesome, global team of specialists in UX who have extensive experience in academia & industry
- Drive your own development, through formal learning and/or experience
- Have the opportunity to build core skills, such as communicating, influencing, partner engagement & management etc.
Training and Development
In return for your drive, determination, hard work and dedication, we will supprt you to complete your Bachelor of Science Degree in Digital User Experience https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/apprenticeships/courses/digital-ux-professional at Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU).
A degree apprenticeship combines full-time paid work with us and part-time university learning; gaining a full qualification (just like you would if you went to uni full-time) whilst being involved in real-life delivery, practical learning and getting paid!
As well as this, you’ll be supported on a day to day basis with:
- Opportunities to apply your learning in the workplace
- Reasonable time out to attend university and study (during study leave)
- Focussed objectives and goals for the duration of each rotation role
- Further development to support broader learning
- Time with your line manager, mentor, buddy and Early Talent network
- Skills and Capabilities
We would be looking for the following attributes from our successful applicants:
- A strong desire to learn fun, complex rewarding concepts that impact society
- A real passion for people, creativity and design of technology and services
- A genuine interest in psychology and being taught research methods
- Insightful learner interested in “people first over solutions”
- Quick and agile problem solver
- The ability to work as part of a team
- Strong organisation skills
- Demonstrable initiative
5 GCSE’s at 9-4 (or equivalent qualifications) and to have achieved or predicted to achieve a minimum of 96 points at A-level (Grades CCC) or equivalent qualifications.
To apply for this position, please click the apply link.
This is a Fixed Term Contract opportunity based at Macclesfield offering offering £18,000 starting base salary + 11% benefits fund + bonus. (Relocation support may be offered on an individual basis, if appropriate)
Opening date of advert: 4th January 2021
Closing date of advert: 19th March 2021
Successful candidates will be notified after the closing date and will be asked to attend a virtual Assessment day on 4th May 2021.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments or accommodations, please let us know on your application.
These positions are not open to those already educated to Bachelors degree level or above – for which we have specific Graduate Programmes, see our website for more details https://careers.astrazeneca.com/students
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.Apply
- Apprenticeship, Data and Technology